People continually ask me, “What are the benefits of Colon Hydrotherapy, what will it do for me?” I use three sources to help answer this question.
One is the CIA or Colonic International Association of UK who ask,
“What Will Colonics Do To the Colon?”
Two is Carmelo Ballesteros MD from Spain whose lecture I attended at the 2000 annual meeting of the International Association for Colon Hydrotherapy. The title is, “On the Importance of Colon Hydrotherapy.”
Three, and last but not least, is the Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients of August/September 2000 entitled the “Value of Colon Hydrotherapy Verified by Medical Professionals Prescribing It.”
I have edited the material. Sit back and enjoy.
WHAT WILL COLONICS DO TO THE COLON?
“The Rolls Royce of colon cleansing is without question –
1. Cleanse the Colon: Toxic material is broken down so it can no longer harm your body or inhibit assimilation and elimination. Even debris built up over a long period is gently removed in a series of treatments. Your colon can begin to co-operate again as it was intended. In this sense, a colonic is a rejuvenation treatment.
2. Exercise the Colon Muscles: The build-up of toxic debris weakens the colon and impairs its functioning. The gentle filling and emptying of the colon improves peristalsis (muscular contraction) by which the colon naturally moves material.
3. Reshape the Colon: When problem conditions exist in the colon, they tend to alter its shape that in turn causes more problems. The gentle action of the water, coupled with massage techniques of the colon therapist, help to eliminate bulging pockets of waste and narrowed, spastic constrictions finally enabling the colon to resume its natural state.
4. Stimulate Reflex Points: The colon connects to every system and organ of the body by reflex points. The colonic stimulates these points thereby affecting the corresponding body parts in a beneficial way.
ON THE IMPORTANCE OF COLON HYDROTHERAPY
Dr. Ballesteros is an MD with study and practice in public health, intensive care, acupuncture, colon hydrotherapy and nutritional medicine. He publishes in the field of intestinal health and colon hydrotherapy. He may be reached through the Transcom Company in Spain where he is Medical Director.
A. Consequences And Benefits Of Colon Hydrotherapy
1. Compression of neighboring organs disappears or attenuates when volume reduces in the colon. Sensation of lightness may be experienced.
2. Reduces pressure in the intra-abdominal area which improves venous return from lower extremities and pelvic zone
3. Relaxes pressure on the hips and lumbar column and is beneficial to their mobility
4. Potential to correct intestinal transit problems such as constipation and diarrhea without resorting to prescription drugs
5. Stimulates peristaltic action of intestines and therefore removal of constipation
6. Relaxes abdominal muscles from the action of water temperature and massage that accompany the colonic and stimulates peristaltic action restoring normal muscle tone
7. Increases abdominal muscle tone due to reducing intestinal residues
8. Relaxing effect on organs above intestines such as the liver, heart, and lungs.
9. We can suppose colon hydrotherapy improves functions of the large intestines, lymph and nervous system because a relation exists between them in the GI tract.
10. Sensation of well being due to the elimination of mucus, alimentary remainders not digested, gases and toxic bacteria.
11. Relieves inflammation and edema due to elimination of irritating substances
12. Expels parasites due to alternating water temperatures and complementary additives to colonic water such as garlic and other vermifuge (parasite killing) herbs
13. Reduces weight and slims due to activating elimination
14. Relieves gynecological disorders such as cystitis and dysmenorrhea due to reduction of a prolapsed intestine
15. Creates an increase in mental capacity and rejuvenation since it decreases the degenerative process, normal or accelerated, by removing toxic substances that affect biological aging.
16. Reduces risk of complications after surgery because it reinforces natural immunity.
17. Decreases demineralization of body because it improves metabolism.
B. Indications For Different Pathologies
1. Sharp and chronic pain from spastic colon.
2. Skin conditions, acne, follicles of the hair and therefore the hair itself before initiating any other process due to direct relationship between intestinal and skin health. Use of trace elements and fatty acids in combination with hydrotherapy are essential in any skin problem.
3. Emotional and mental states such as anxiety, fear, insomnia.
4. Beneficial effect on headaches for 2 reasons: 1, relaxation of lumbar vertebrae transmits to the cervical region and its articulation in the cranium reduces muscular tension headaches; and 2, elimination of toxins causes many headaches to disappear at their root. Colonics have a relaxing effect on ’emotional activity.’ Colonics help decongest the liver, a source of many headaches.
5. Colonics help decongest the spinal column and inner ear and therefore improve states of dizziness and vertigo.
6. Otitis has greater period of remission.
7. Reduces the degenerative processes of arthritis and osteoporosis due to its proximity to hip or vertebrae articulation.
8. Help for athletes who verify the detoxification effect and purity that colon hydrotherapy has with the following results: increase in tone, greater resistance to muscle fatigue, general improvement to the joints, improved training, and improved calcium in the bones.
9. Ability to obtain better diagnostic images via radiology, ultrasound and manual touch due to elimination of colon contents.
10. Advised before any surgery especially of abdomen. Colon hydrotherapy contributes also to rapid elimination of anesthetic.
11. Preventive of degenerative and other pathological processes. In some countries, relatives of cancer patients receive colon hydrotherapy with prevention in mind.
12. Diverticulosis, Crohn’s, Ulcerative Colitis. (In US, with physician’s prescription and supervision.)
13. Other indications: pregnancy up to fourth month, intestinal laziness, swelling, ankylosis, pain of dorsal spine, chronic lumbar pain, candida, dry skin, wrinkles, insufficient renal elimination, immune insufficiency or auto-immune condition, aid for para- and quadriplegics, any sign of chronic intoxication, anemia, sclerosis.
C. Effect on Return Circulation
1. The blood and lymph have fewer obstacles in the abdomen for their ascent and hence permit improvement in a number of areas, most frequently with women and even more if they are constipated.
2. Varices can be minimized if they are not great in size.
3. Improves circulation of swollen, inflamed, cold, cyanic-colored legs
4. Permits greater reabsorption of woven subcutaneous tissue in cellulitis
5. Relieves excess pressure of veins in hemorrhoid cases
6. Relieves heavy and slow stomach and morning sickness
7. Relieves compression and palpitation of heart if due to gas
8. Cleanses the blood and improves exchange of gases in the lungs.
VALUE OF COLON HYDROTHERAPY
VERIFIED BY MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS PRESCRIBING IT
Many years ago, The Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients published an article on colon hydrotherapy. Some highlights of the paper appear below.
Leonard Smith MD Gainesville FL Gastrointestinal Surgeon
‘It turns out that colon hydrotherapy is the gentlest and most effective treatment to take care of a sick person’s constipation problem. My recommendation for cancer patients is that they should undergo frequent colon hydrotherapy procedures to make sure a colon’s toxic burden is being kept at a minimum while their bodies are trying to heal.’
‘It’s a fact that most people fail to fully evacuate the colon, something they don’t realize. People undergoing colon hydrotherapy on a prevention basis become quite surprised at how much waste is removed by the procedure.’
‘Without any reservation, I declare that my wish is to see it become an established procedure for many kinds of gastrointestinal problems. If medical centers, hospitals and clinics installed colon hydrotherapy departments, they would find such departments just as efficacious for patients as their present treatment areas which are devoted to physiotherapy.’
Paul Flashner MD Wellesley MA
General Surgeon and Emergency Medicine
Flashner adapts his treatments almost completely to Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM). ‘He has incorporated Colon Hydrotherapy as a regular CAM technique.’
He describes the case of Tommy, an eight-year-old boy with severe constipation. ‘I improved the child’s diet and removed all junk foods. Then I instigated an exercise program, had him drink lots of water, balanced his colonic flora and added fiber food supplements. But most vital for Tommy’s welfare is that he took colon hydrotherapy under my prescription. The beneficial effect was dramatic for within six months he was experiencing a natural and normal bowel movement every day.
‘My approach to medical practice is to balance the GI tract using stool testing. I find various pathologies relating to bacteria, yeast, parasites and other organisms of this nature. A lot of disease comes from imbalances in the colon as manifested by inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis, auto immune diseases, allergies, multiple sclerosis and certainly constipation. Such imbalances can be corrected by means of colon hydrotherapy, herbal supplements and diet.’
Sharda Sharma MD Millburn NJ
Dr Sharma has a wholistic medical practice that includes colon hydrotherapy, chelation therapy, massage therapy, acupuncture, reiki
‘I have trained and certified colon hydrotherapists working as part of my staff…they have been rendering care for constipation, abdominal cramps, allergies and a variety of other conditions including ten patients with hepatitis C. These hepatitis patients respond to colon hydrotherapy and do well.’
‘A forty-two year old high school teacher had suffered with constipation and no bowel movements for six days at a stretch. She was bloated, fatigued, lethargic, headachy and crampy. My treatment choice for her was enzyme supplements and colon hydrotherapy twice weekly for thirteen weeks. These treatments solved the constipation problem.’
‘Colon hydrotherapy is excellent as a treatment for the yeast syndrome.’
Michael Gerber MD Reno NV
Dr Gerber has had colon hydrotherapy in his office for 25 years and he appreciates the immense improvement in the equipment over the years. He describes FDA approved high tech equipment and the process itself.
‘The benefits of colon hydrotherapy extend all the way from psychiatric improvement to constipation elimination.’
Emil Sayegh MD Chesapeake VA Urology
Dr Sayegh’s practice spans sixty years and he has a large male clientele who have sought hi s help correcting Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and prostatitis.
Listen up, guys! ‘These two common medical difficulties are closely associated with having weak abdominal muscles. Those men possessing flaccid and weak abdominal muscles experience enormous pressures on their bladders which never let up.’
‘Cleansing the colon markedly assists the functioning of the pathological male bladder and prostate organs. Colon Hydrotherapy given to involved men at two-week intervals for three times to start and then administered every four weeks for an unlimited period does solve prostatitis and benign prostatic hyperplasia.’
Douglas Brodie MD Reno NV Oncologist and Homeopath
Dr Brodie ‘has developed complementary and alternative (CAM) methods for treating cancer and other degenerative diseases aimed at strengthening the immune system. He emphasizes natural and humane approaches to these conditions with colon hydrotherapy being among them.’
‘I do recommend that most of my cancer patients take colon hydrotherapy because they often improve by having such treatment. Liver cancer in particular shows benefit from colon hydrotherapy but any internal tumors show effectual change too.’
Arthur Brawer MD Long Branch NJ Rheumatology
‘Silicone breast implant exposure which results in disease symptoms responds very well to colon hydrotherapy. I am in the center of this silicone breast implant controversy by having consulted with over 500 women from around the world for the toxic environmental exposure caused by such implantation…I use colon hydrotherapy for the treatment of such silicone toxicity since it does work to chelate silicone out of the body.’ He continues with a clear explanation.
For silicone removal and healing he also suggests other detoxifying techniques. ‘Colon hydrotherapy is perhaps the best way and also…Ayurvedic medicine, hyperthermia, steam baths, saunas, oxygen therapy, …reiki and qigong. Any dietary approach has to be more an exclusionary basis – take the patient off processed foods and have them eat organic.’
He also lists thirty-three other conditions which respond to colon hydrotherapy such as allergies, acne, cold hands and feet, muscle pain, skin rashes, arthritis, attention deficit disorder, mouth sores, joint aches, multiple sclerosis and seizures.
Robert Charm MD Walnut Creek CA Gastroenterologist and
Clinical Professor of Medicine at University of California
‘Some people don’t poop enough! Let’s get people thinking about eating and pooping. If these don’t occur together, colon hydrotherapy should be employed.’
‘I prefer my patients to undergo colon hydrotherapy the morning of colonoscopy. It’s a safe way to cleanse the gut.’
‘It’s a healing technique for the relief of irritable bowel syndrome with gas and bloating, chronic constipation, abdominal discomfort and many other GI tract problems.’
John Diamond MD Reno NV Medical Director of Triad Medical Coauthor of An Alternative Medicine Definitive Guide to Cancer
‘For some patients with chronic constipation or extensive yeast problems, colon hydrotherapy works advantageously to get rid of the physical load of pathology in the gastrointestinal tract. This treatment stimulates the liver and gets rid of the debris that’s sticking to the mucosa.’
He describes one case history which sounds similar to some clients I see.
‘A woman, 46, has a long history of antibiotic usage for chronic sinusitis. She is a sugarholic to the extent that her food is totally carbohydrates with hardly any protein or fat. She exhibits a variety of symptoms including extreme fatigue, migraine headaches, irregular menses, chronic constipation, abdominal pain and yeast growing in the bowel…
The only program that gave relief was colon hydrotherapy three times a week. It took me a month to get my patient stable but finally the treatment’s effect kicked in. The lady did get her bowel cleaned up. She’s now experiencing normal stools. I have her following a restrictive protein diet. Her energy is returned. She has been showing normal menses for the last two months. Her migraines disappeared…
I needed to get the woman back to normal bowel function, off antibiotics and onto probiotics all the time. Now she takes colon hydrotherapy on a regular once-a-month schedule. She will likely be forced to stay on her therapeutic program continuously.’
Janet Beaty ND West Concord MA
Beaty, graduate of the prestigious naturopathic college John Bastyr in Seattle WA, uses colon hydrotherapy for constipation, to allow other healing modalities to work better, for detoxification, allergies, arthritis and ‘any health problems.’
‘It is a very helpful tool for nearly any patient in order to get the bowel peristalsis to work. An effective technique for stimulating such peristalsis is to start out with giving colon hydrotherapy using warm water and gradually decreasing the water temperature as treatment continues. This lower temperature tends to stimulate the bowel muscles. The cold temperatures cause good peristaltic action for a retraining of the bowel.’
‘The ideal treatment program I follow is that from four to eight weeks the patient receives colon hydrotherapy. This time frame is necessary for unloading … toxins from the liver.’
Beaty tells the story of a 36-year-old female patient who had ectopic pregnancies with resulting miscarriages, endometriosis and caesarean pregnancies. ‘The solution to my patient’s problem of endometrial pain is to take a colon hydrotherapy one week before her period. The pain is then reduced markedly because her usual premenstrual constipation is prevented… She currently takes colon hydrotherapy routinely for improving the quality of her life.’
James P Carter MD PhD Mandeville LA
‘Colon hydrotherapy is an excellent detoxifier for the overindulgence of alcohol drinking and drug addictions of all kinds. Residues of drugs and other agents in the tissues are eliminated with colon hydrotherapy…Colon hydrotherapy should be part of nearly any addict’s therapeutic regimen.’
My closing comments. As you can see, Colon Hydrotherapy touches men and women’s issues and well as a host of other health issues that affect all of us. I hope you have found something in the few quotes that will forward your health practices and bring your self-love alive. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or to make an appointment.